High in the heart of the eastern Himalayan, seven valleys radiate from Mt. Makalu, the world’s fifth highest peak. These valleys, particularly the Barun valley, treasure some of the last remaining pristine forest and alpine meadows of Nepal. From the bottom of the Arun valley at just 435 m above sea level, the Himalayas rise to the snow capped tip of Makalu 8463m with in a 40 km distance. With in this wide range of altitudes and climates, the Makalu Barun area contains some of the richest and most diverse pockets of plants and animals in Nepal, elsewhere lost to spreading human habitation.
Most of the trekking is a remote wilderness, with just two small settlement and seasonal herding in high pastures. The incredible steep topography and abundant monsoon rains (1000 – 4000 mm per year) of the eastern Himalayan support unusually diverse bio climate zones and a rich storehouse of medicinal and useful plants. The trek has more than 400 species of birds, including the spotted wren babbler and the olive ground warbler. These two species have never been seen in Nepal before.
There are many animals including the endangered red panda, Himalayan black bear, the clouded leopard, ghoral, tahr, wild boar, barking deer, Himalayan marmot, weasel, common langur monkey and serow. The Arun River gushing through the park has around 84 varieties of fish including salmon.
Bhotia people originally from Tibet live at higher elevation and carry on Buddhist traditions. A handful of other hill tribes including Gurung, gurung Tamang, Magar, Rai, Niwar, Brahmins, Chhetris, and occupational casts live in the lower elevations.
Flight Kathmandu - Nepalgunj, O/N at hotel.
Flight: Kathmandu - Tumlingtar (860 m). Trek to Khadbari (1,040m) (4 hrs). Camp
Trek Khadbari to Chichila (1,830 m) (5/6 hrs). Camp
Trek Chichila to Num (1,490 m) (5 hrs). Camp
Trek Num to Sedua (1,460 m) (5/6 hrs). Camp
Trek Sedua to Tashi Gaon (2,070 m) (5 hrs). Camp
Trek Tashi Gaon to Kauma (3,470 m) (6 hrs). Camp
Rest / Exploration day at Kauma. Camp
Trek Kauma to Mumbuk (3,570 m) (5 hrs). Camp
Trek Mumbuk to Nhe Kharka (3,000 m) (6 hrs). Camp
Trek Nhe Kharka to Sherson (4,615 m) (7 hrs). Camp
Trek Sherson to Makalu Base Camp (5,000 m) (4/5 hrs). Camp
Trek Makalu Base Camp to Nhe Kharka (3,000 m) (7 hrs). Camp
Trek Nhe kharka to Mumbuk (3,570 m) (6 hrs). Camp
Trek Mumbuk to Kauma (3,470m) (5 hrs). Camp
Trek Kauma to Tashi Gaon (2,070 m) (5 hrs). Camp
Trek Tashi Gaun to Pukuwa (1,520 m) (6 hrs). Camp
Trek Pukuwa to Bumling (1,160 m) (5 hrs). Camp
Trek Bumling to Tumlingtar (860 m) (4 hrs). Camp.
Flight: Tumlingtar - Kathmandu. Hotel Overnight.
Free day to explore, and enjoy Kathmandu. Hotel Overnight.
Check-list of personal equipment:
– Good standard trekking boots
– Camping shoes/thongs
– Down Jacket
– Trekking trousers
– Shorts (both casual and for treks)
– Swim wear
– Sun Hat
– Woollen Hat
– Nylon Windbreaker
– Strong Rucksack
– Sleeping Bag
– Water Bottle
– Torch/headlamp (with spare batteries)
– Toilet paper
– Sun block
– Travel Towel
– Medication (cough medicine, throat soothers, water purification tablets)
– Camera & lenses
– Memory cards
– GPS Tracking Units may be helpful
– Book/music player/pack of cards
– A plastic bag for waste
– Energy/snack bars
The following equipment are needed during the Climbing period: –
(Warm Down Jackets, Sleeping Bags, Warm Trousers, Koflach Shoes, Trekking Shoes and Sandals, Perfectly fitting Crampons, Gaiters, Ice Axe, Jumar, Ice Screw, Rock, Picton, Snow Bar, 2 locking Carabiners, Gloves, Sun Glasses, Head Light, Helmet, Rope, Stove, Harness, Figure -8, Gore – Tex Jackets)
- Airport pick up service/ Airport drop off service/Hotel pick up service/ hotel drop off service by a private vehicle.
- Standard twin sharing accommodation in a hotel in Kathmandu, Pokhara, and Lumbini (breakfast included)
- Two nights/three days accommodation in Chitwan with full board meal (breakfast, lunch and dinner) as well as all jungle activities in the national park.
- Entry permits and fees for all temples, parks, monasteries, and cultural and historical sites.
- Nepal Himalayan trip’s bag and cap as gifts to you
- License holder English speaking tour guide.
- Food, accommodation, salary, insurance, equipment, and medicine for guide and driver.
- Tourist bus from Kathmandu to Pokhara
- Private Transportation from Pokhara to Lumbini
- Private Transportataion from Lumbini to Chitwan
- Tourist bus from Chitwan to Kathmandu
- Sightseeing in a private vehicle in Kathmandu and Pokhara
- All government taxes, VAT, Tourist Service charges and official expenses.
- Lunch and dinner in Kathmandu (costs roughly USD 10 to USD 15 per person per day)
- Travel insurance, which covers emergency rescue and evacuation. (See Secure Insurance Page)
- International airfare and airport departure tax.
- Nepal Entry Visa: you can obtain a visa easily upon arrival at Tribhuwan International Airport in Kathmandu. (Tourist Visa with Multiple Entries for 15 days can be obtained by paying USD 25 or
equivalent Nepalese currency. Similarly, Tourist Visa with Multiple Entries for 30 days and 90 days can be obtained by paying USD 40 and USD 100
- respectively. Please bring 1 passport size photo).
- Tips for tour guide and driver(Tipping is expected).
- Any other expense, which is not mentioned in ‘Price Includes’ section.